Here's a nice winter warmer recipe for you. It can be cooked as a starter or as part of a main meal.
I got this recipe from the Good Housekeeping Christmas Cookbook 2012. It actually calls for Roquefort cheese but I am not a lover of blue cheese so I substituted it for Mature Cheddar.
What you will need:
- 375g ready-rolled puff pastry
- 40g butter, plus extra for greasing
- 2 medium eggs
- 400g trimmed leeks, thinly sliced
- 2tbsp chopped fresh chives
- 100g extra mature cheese, sliced into six triangles
- 75g chopped walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius (gas mark 6). Unroll the pastry and cut in half length ways, then cut each half into 3 equal squares. Using the tip score a smaller square into each to make a frame.
- Place the squares on a greased baking tray and brush over with one lightly beaten egg, then chill for 10 minutes. Bake for 10 minutes until well risen and golden.
- Carefully lift the top layers of the inner squares with a fork.
- Melt the butter in a frying pan and add the leeks. Cook for about 10 minutes or until soft. Beat the remaining egg and add to the leeks with the chives. Season to taste.
- Put a slice of cheese on each tart (you can use whatever cheese you like) and top with walnuts.
- Return to the oven and bake for 10-15 minutes or until golden and heated through.
Perfect served with mini jackets.