What you will need:
- 3 1/4 cups self-rising flour, sifted (about 450 grams)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 stick of butter, softened
- 1/3 cup of superfine sugar (75 grams)
- Baking cherries, chopped
- 1 egg, beaten
- A few drops of almond essence
- 3/4 cup of milk
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees faherenheit and grease a large baking sheet.
- Mix together the flour and the baking powder in a large bowl and rub in the butter with your fingers.
- Add the sugar, cherries, egg, almond essence and milk to make a soft but not sticky dough. Knead together lightly until smooth.
- On a floured board, roll out your dough to about 1/2 an inch thick and cut out circles using a 2 inch cutter.
- Place each scone on the baking sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes until well risen, firm and golden. Removed from the oven and leave to cool.
- Serve with cream and jam, viola.
Calleigh likes them for breakfast with a little butter, yum.