For the cupcakes:
- 3/4 cup of self-rising flour, sifted
- 1/2 cup superfine sugar, sifted
- 1/2 cup margarine, softened
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
For the Butter cream:
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) soft unsalted butter
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- red food colouring
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees and line a 12-hole muffin pan with cupcake cases.
- Put all the cupcake ingredients into a mixer (or a big bowl) and mix really well until the batter is light and fluffy (I did it by hand and it took some time so if you do have one, use an electric whisk).
- Put heaped teaspoons of the batter into the cupcake cases and bake for about 20-25 minutes until golden on top.
- Let the cupcakes cool while you prepare the butter cream.
- To make the butter cream beat everything together in a large bowl until light and fluffy. Should take a few minutes.
- Add the colour to the mixture to get your desired colour and make sure it's well blended.
- Once the cakes have cooled use a spoon to cut out a circular section from the top of the cake. Cut that section in half, these are your wings. Do this for all twelve.
- Spoon the butter cream mixture into the hole on the cake and press in the wings.
And the verdict is: